The Department of Digital Arts in the School of Art and Design at Pratt Institute invites applications for a full-time Assistant Chairperson to begin Fall 2019. Under limited supervision and wide latitude for independent judgment, the incumbent assists the departmental chairperson with managing the academic administration of the department. The department, which has been educating digital artists for over 30 years, offers BFA and MFA degrees in 2D Animation, 3D Animation and Motion Arts, Interactive Arts and Digital Imaging. Pratt Institute's Department of Digital Arts places concept first while demanding technical excellence in execution.
Located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, Pratt is an internationally recognized school of architecture, art, design, liberal arts, and information, which draws students from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students and staff and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
• Assist Chairperson with Advising BFA and MFA students.
• Participate in curriculum and Program Development with the faculty and Chair.
• Work with Chairperson to develop and post the semester schedule.
• Provide individual student advisement regarding Senior and Thesis project work.
• Participate in department critiques and reviews. Organize, announce and participate in department-wide reviews of BFA and MFA work; thesis Committee member as needed.
• Create, review and edit department announcements, promotional materials, and website content; announce student, faculty, and alumni achievements; facilitate submission of student and alumni work to national and international competitions.
• Conduct portfolio reviews and present the Digital Arts program to prospective students at admissions and department events; meet with prospective BFA and MFA students and respond to inquiries.
• Assist the Gallery Director in coordinating the end of year Digital Arts exhibition/screening.
• Maintain Gallery and Industry contacts specific to DDA concentrations and mission.
• Communicate policies and procedures to the faculty and students.
• Serve on Institute, Department and School committees as needed.
• Remain engaged in creative studio practice.
• Perform all other duties and special projects as assigned by the Chair.
The successful candidate will be an experienced educator in digital arts and a practicing artist. We seek applicants who have a comprehensive understanding of the role of digital technologies in contemporary art practice and/or the animation industry.
We require an MFA with three to five years of college level teaching experience. College level administrative experience preferred. The successful candidate will have extensive knowledge of digital arts, digital media and/or animation, strong communication skills and experience on the Mac OS. A strong record of professional accomplishment, as demonstrated through portfolio/reel, and an active exhibition/production record are essential.
SALARY is commensurate with education, credentials and experience.
Review of applications will begin July 22, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Please submit a letter of interest, a Curriculum Vitae that includes courses taught, an artist statement as well as a statement of your teaching philosophy, and the names and contact information for three professional references via our internal application site at https://apply.interfolio.com/64964. Please also submit a professional portfolio/reel of recent creative work and student work with 20 examples.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.
Internal Number: 111821381
About Pratt Institute
The mission of Pratt Institute is to educate artists and creative professionals to be responsible contributors to society. Pratt seeks to instill in all graduates aesthetic judgment, professional knowledge, collaborative skills, and technical expertise. With a firm grounding in the liberal arts and sciences, a Pratt education blends theory with creative application in preparing graduates to become leaders in their professions. Pratt enrolls a diverse group of highly talented and dedicated students, challenging them to achieve their full potential.