This position reports to the Assistant Vice President of Benefits, within the Office of General Counsel and Human Resources and is responsible for the management, administration, implementation and communication of the University's retirement plan, which is a 403(b) defined contribution plan. The Associate Director of Retirement Plan Benefits oversees and controls the activities involved in day to day management of the plans including but not limited to: employee inquiries, monitoring employee eligibility for the plans; compliance related functions including audits and required mailings; and communication and education of the University's plans. Retirement Plan activities will account for 80% of this position's function, the other 20% will be support of the Benefit's Office functions around health and welfare plans; various HRIS activities including Workday Testing with respect to Benefits; financial and wellness planning, and other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President of Benefits.
Job Responsibilities: Retirement Plan Activities (80%)
- Serves as backup to the Assistant Vice President of Benefits for all aspects of Retirement Plan Administration and is accountable to the Chief Legal and Human Resources Officer in the Assistant Vice President's absence - Manages and ensures the retirement plans are administered in compliance with the Employee Retirement Income and Security Act (ERISA), Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Department of Labor (DOL) regulations and Plan Documents - Responsible for the third party vendor management of the administration of the retirement plans to ensure compliance with service contract terms and conditions - Develops relationships with vendors in order to ensure continuous improvement and efficient management of plans - Develops, implements and maintains procedures and systems to ensure accurate retirement plan operations - Assists in review of amendments to plan documents and socializes these changes with employees and third party vendors where appropriate - Partners with vendors to manage participant understanding of retirement plans, create awareness and drive engagement in the production of all benefit related messages regarding retirement planning, financial education, and financial wellness - Prepares and conducts workshops and presentations either independently or with third party vendors - Manages special projects independently, including but not limited to: compliance mailings such as fee disclosure, SAR distribution, universal availability and non-discrimination testing - Manages the annual 403(b) audit and 5500 filing with Office of Budget and Finance, and University auditor - Serves as the point person for any Workday solution projects that impact retirement plans
Other Activities (20%) - Assist other Benefits Staff with employee inquiries and special projects as assigned by the Assistant Vice President of Benefits - Manage the Medicare reimbursement program and assist pre-retirees with questions regarding the benefits and assist them with navigating the VIA Medicare platform - Analyzes and evaluates benefit plan trends and legislation to present to the Assistant Vice President and assist in evaluating whether changes to benefit offerings are warranted. - Workday Benefits Testing - Other Benefits Related projects such as Annual open enrollment and wellness activities and programs
Required Qualifications: - Bachelor's degree required - Extensive knowledge of defined contribution retirement programs in a not for profit environment, with a minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience - Must have demonstrated and proven success with standard concepts, practices and procedures within the employee benefits field - Extensive experience with HRIS systems - Proficiency with MS Excel - Strong written and verbal communication skills - Excellent presentation, time management and organizational skills
Preferred Qualifications: - Master's degree in a business related field preferred, SPHR, PHR, SHRM a plus - Experience with Workday a plus - Demonstrated ability to direct and successfully manage a wide variety of diverse projects. Must possess excellent project management skills - Must be able to be an independent decision maker and demonstrate comfort with making decisions in absence of clear and definitive information.
Internal Number: 17572
About The New School
The New School, a leading university in downtown New York City, offers degree and nondegree academic programs in design, the social sciences, the liberal arts, management, the arts, and media. Students benefit from small classes, superior resources, and renowned faculty members who practice what they teach. Continuing education courses and public programs place the university at the center of New York’s cultural and intellectual life.