Weather and Climate Data Engineer - State College, PA-1901966 We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF , we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We achieve this through our commitment to continuous improvement and operational excellence, which gives us the opportunity to set and deliver on ambitious, long-term goals.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team--especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. This allows for our employees to innovate and generate new ideas, put them into action, and gain insights from them to further advance our collective expertise.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2019. We strongly support the spirit of collaboration through effectively involving team members and colleagues from other relevant units when developing and executing strategies and projects. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Weather and Climate Data Engineer (1901966) - State College, PA
Where the Chemistry Happens
We are currently seeking a professional like you to join our digital farming team. In this role, you will use your strong technical background in the Earth sciences with a proven capability to develop robust, scalable software to deliver environmental geospatial and time series data for research and operational applications. You will interface closely with BASF's digital farming unit - including weather, agricultural modeling, and product development teams - to provide and improve weather and climate data for their respective needs.
This is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate your fluency in shell scripting and programming language for scientific applications such as Python, R, C, C++, FORTRAN, Perl, as well as your familiarity with scientific data formats (GRIB, NetCDF, HD, GeoTIFF) and cloud computing solutions. Your will also showcase your e xperience with Linux, Amazon Web Services or other cloud computing environments and database development and administration. Another key to your success in this role will be your a bility to write well-structured, efficient, easily maintainable, and well-documented code that executes as part of an overall weather and climate data processing chain.
Travel for this role will consist of occasional short-term trips in the United States and internationally.
For further information on Agricultural Products with BASF, please select:
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Formula for Success
* Using your education in atmospheric science, meteorology, oceanography, geography, engineering or a related Earth science and subject matter expertise in processing, producing, and improving weather and climate data for data intensive applications and modeling , you will support and lead weather and climate data projects to serve the scientific and analytical needs of our weather, agronomic, and product development teams.
* Drawing on your experience handling environmental geospatial data, you will work with and process numerical weather prediction model output (e.g. WRF, HRRR, NAM, GFS, ECMWF, etc.).
* Leveraging your extensive software development experience, you will architect, maintain, and troubleshoot scalable, cloud-computing based systems for ingesting, storing, serving, and processing environmental geospatial, as well as remotely sensed and in situ observations.
* Utilizing best practices in software development and design, you will test and implement data analysis, integration, visualization, quality assurance, and validation procedures.
* Your familiarity with statistical analysis techniques to improve, compare, and validate weather and climate data / models will serve you well as you interact with the weather team.
* Showcasing your outstanding oral and written communication skills you will coordinate with regional and global marketing, sales, science, and product teams to establish and maintain modeling and data science pipelines
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you--the whole you--in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.
At BASF, we create chemistry – and have been doing so for 150 years. Our portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. As the world’s leading chemical company, we combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future.