Provides senior administrative and technical support to the Chief Information Security Officer in developing, implementing, and executing the information security program. Collaboratively assists in the development of information security policies, standards, procedures, and processes in support of the mission of the university. Responsible for institutional vulnerability management, related processes and reporting. Supports day to day incident monitoring operations and management. Assists in developing, monitoring and enforcing practices to ensure that information is secure from unauthorized access and inappropriate alteration. Deploys and manages security tools and appliances. Assesses and recommends information security improvements.
1. Lead Cyber Security Oversight and Incident Response: Provide technical leadership for vulnerability identification, threat and attack mitigation, intrusion detection and prevention, remediation plans and risk assessments. Assist in the response to security events and escalations. Reports, records, and works with departments to resolve security related issues and incidents. Assist OIT with and verify monitoring of specific components or supporting infrastructure is occurring. Recommend changes and tuning for Intrusion Prevention Systems, Intrusion Detection Systems, vulnerability scanning, Security Incident Event Management (SIEM), log analysis, firewall rules, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), identity management, access management, risk assessments, encryption, sensitive data discovery, Data Loss Prevention (DLP), Mobile Device Management MDM) and/or other related functions as assigned. Support security equipment to ensure proper operation including upgrades and installations.
2. Lead Enterprise Information Security Architecture: Partner across business and technology disciplines to present and deliver the secure architecture. Provide guidance on the application of reference architecture (cloud or on premises), strategic direction of enterprise technology, and serve as subject matter expert with contextual knowledge of the business needs. Develop, document and utilize reusable patterns, practices, and enterprise reference architectures that fit within the overall UTA architecture. Provide strategic direction and consulting to support cross-functional security activities and project teams including security strategy, solution, architecture, technology products, design and implement security architecture, infrastructure hardening and compliance. Assist in the development, implementation, monitoring, assessment and support of access control, data confidentiality, system integrity, system reliability, system audit and recovery methods and procedures. Adhere to and improve procedures on incident management, malware analysis, forensics analysis and use of information security tools and information. In cooperation with IT, develops system hardening baselines and configurations.
3. Assist with Research Compliance and Support: the development of requirements for, and take part in, information security projects. Provide strategic direction and consulting to support cross-functional security activities and project teams including security strategy, solution, enterprise application architecture, technology products, design and implement security architecture, infrastructure hardening and compliance. Assist the security team in support of information security projects and requirements, including project management and testing of security projects and applications. Interface with OIT and research personnel to resolve security related issues.
4. Assist with Enterprise Information Security Risk Management: information security risk management; develop or implement risk assessments, risk identification methods, track controls, risk ranking, risk disposition, etc.; network and web vulnerability identification, threat and attack mitigation, intrusion detection and prevention and remediation plans; response to security events and escalations.
5. Information Security Policy, Standards, Procedures Development: Assist with the development of security policies, procedures and standards. Provide subject matter expertise and guidance on incident, root cause and malware analysis.
6. Information Security Awareness Training and Communication: Support the development and implementation of security awareness training programs. Performs other duties assigned. Participate in Information Security Awareness and other duties as assigned.
7. Other duties as assigned: Manage, participate and/or develop requirements for information security projects.
Bachelor’s degree with five (5) years cumulative experience in networks, databases, security, web development or other IT related field, with at least two (2) years' experience with Information Security or Risk Management. Team-oriented self-starter with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Strong oral/written communications and interpersonal skills. Excellent planning and organizational skills. A high degree of initiative, motivation and problem-solving skills. Technical knowledge of operating systems, defense-in-depth concepts, networks, security related technologies, and security configurations. Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Linux/UNIX systems, firewalls, TCP/IP, VPN, DNS, access management, encryption, configuration management, vulnerability scanning, and application security best practices.
Master's degree preferred. Certifications related to the duties and responsibilities specified, including but not limited to CNA, CCNA, CISA, CISSP, MCSE, SSCP, and SANSGIAC. Experience with web development, scripting, and/or programming. Direct working knowledge and experience with Splunk. Working, practical experience, with at least one (1) of the following: Cisco or Juniper Firewall, Intrusion Prevention Systems, Intrusion Detection Systems, Microsoft System Center End Point Protection (SCEP), Anti-Malware Software, Microsoft System Center Configuration Management (SCCM), puppet, WinMagic Secure Doc, Cenzic or Burp Application Scanner, Oracle/Peoplesoft security, MySQL, MS SQL, LDAP, Kerberos, Active Directory, Apache, IIS, Nessus vulnerability scanner, Sendmail, IronPort, Email Encryption, Identity Finder, Data Loss Prevention tools, SMTP, SNMP, Perl, Python, Unix Shell, C#, PHP, or Java.
Applicants must include in their online resume the following information: 1) Employment history: name of company, period employed (from month/year to month/year), job title, summary of job duties and 2) Education: If no high school diploma or GED, list highest grade completed; If some college or college degree, list school name, degree type, major.
UTA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation. A criminal background check will be conducted on finalists. The UTA is a tobacco free campus.
Open Until Filled: No
Location: Ft. Worth
Internal Number: 9350
About University of Texas at Arlington
The University of Texas at Arlington sets the standard for educational excellence in the thriving Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area and is one of the nation’s fastest-growing public research universities. With an enrollment of 38,000 on-campus students and an additional 15,000 online degree-seeking students, UTA is the second-largest institution in The University of Texas System. The University offers more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees through 10 colleges and schools and is rising in stature through its commitment to transforming the lives of students, pushing the boundaries of knowledge, and serving a growing and diverse community. UTA has developed a strategic plan, “Bold Solutions, Global Impact” (http://www.uta.edu/strategicplan). Taking advantage of our unique location at the center of the fastest growing urban region in the U.S. and adjacency to the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, our vision is to be ‘The Model 21st Century Urban Research University’. To support this vision, our strategic plan focuses on four over-arching themes across the University: Health and the Human Condition, Sustainable Urban Communities, Global Environmental Impact, ...Data Driven Discovery and Knowledge Management. The College of Engineering is playing a critical role in the advancement of each of these themes. Our highly ranked academic programs attract the best and brightest scholars from around the world, and our faculty and students consistently receive national and international recognition for their accomplishments. U.S. News & World Report ranks UT Arlington fifth among national universities for undergraduate diversity, we are a designated Hispanic Serving Institution, and the Military Times recently named UTA as the best 4-year College for veterans in the state of Texas. The Chronicle of Higher Education ranks UT Arlington among the 20 fastest-growing public research universities in the United States over the last 10 years. With a population of 7 million, the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is the fourth-largest urban area in the United States. It covers an area larger than the states of Rhode Island and Connecticut combined. The Metroplex is the economic and cultural hub of North Texas and has the 10th-largest gross metropolitan product in the world. Not only is it an exciting place to live and work, the Metroplex offers UT Arlington a host of unparalleled scholarly, research, and economic activity. UTA has been a catalyst for redevelopment and revitalization in the central business district of Arlington, establishing a true college town environment in downtown Arlington. UTA’s 20-acre, mixed-use College Park District provides new special events and student living space, restaurants, and parking as part of its broad-based initiative to generate and support economic activity at the city’s urban center. In addition, the University is expanding its footprint in both Fort Worth and Dallas and has plans to increase its global presence building on active partnerships led by the College of Business and the College of Nursing and Health Innovation in Central and South America, South East Asia and the Middle East. For more information on University of Texas at Arlington, visit: www.uta.edu