The Copywriter uses invention, imagination, originality, and talent to develop, write, and edit materials for print and electronic publications. The Copywriter interprets and presents the Missouri State University brand to all audiences and creates action-oriented marketing copy. The Copywriter proofreads original copy, as well as prepared materials, for readability and grammatical correctness. The Copywriter works closely with the Director of Editorial and Design Services in matters concerning editorial style and format in order to ensure consistency and quality of written materials to be published in print or online.
Description of Primary Duties:
The Copywriter is an experienced writer with a strong appreciation of verbal and visual communication. The Copywriter can interpret and present the Missouri State brand promise to all audiences. The Copywriter:
- Helps to promote the University to prospective students by using invention, imagination, originality, and talent in preparing copy for University recruitment publications.
- Helps to promote the University to alumni, donor, and external audiences by using invention, imagination, originality, and talent in preparing copy for University advancement publications.
- Assists in the gathering, writing, and editing of material for University publications and ensures accuracy and completeness of the final product.
- Researches creative trends in the marketplace and applies that knowledge to University brand messaging.
- Assures the production of material is consistent with established guidelines by organizing materials and completing writing assignments in accordance with set standards regarding order, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Assures consistency with standards by editing, standardizing, or making changes to material prepared by other writers or other personnel.
- Develops content for publication by conferring with University clients.
- Supports the Office of Editorial and Design Services by maintaining project management files and other records, working with other staff members as part of a team to facilitate the reuse and storage of electronic document files, and assisting in the supervision of an office staff of editorial graduate assistants and student employees.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Director of Editorial and Design Services.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Division of Marketing and Communications by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
Education: A Bachelor's degree granted prior to the start date of the position in Marketing, Advertising, Communication, English or a related area is required.
Experience: Either one-year of work experience in a professional writing position in a marketing environment or a creative setting or a minimum of three semesters of experience in a part-time position in a similar professional setting is required.
Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required, especially an ability to write for external publications. Strong proofreading and editing skills are required. Organizational and planning skills are required. The ability to effectively manage a high volume of complex projects is required. The ability to collaborate with teams consisting of writers, designers, photographers, and clients is required. Knowledge of word processing is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the job requires some evening and weekend work. Occasional overnight or out of-town travel is required. Extended periods working at a computer workstation are required. The position uses computer monitors and keyboards to write and edit documents.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
The first date of consideration is July 1, 2019, and review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Upload PDF portfolio of written materials that demonstrate success copywriting initiatives.
Official transcripts will be required at the time of hire.
Do you value every voice and every opinion?Are you inspired to create a better future for yourself and others?Are you ready to make a difference?If so, Missouri State has a place for youMissouri State University is a public, comprehensive university system with a mission in public affairs. Our purpose is to develop fully educated persons with a focus on ethical leadership, cultural competence and community engagement.•Enrollment of 26,000 students who come from around the state and the world.•Four-campus system: Springfield, Mo., West Plains and Mountain Grove, Mo., and Dalian, China. •Students’ average ACT score above national average •Strong commitment to both teaching and research •More than 190 undergraduate options; 90 graduate options •Located in Springfield, third-largest city in state; known for beautiful outdoors, friendly people, superior health care, excellent public schools, and a variety of entertainment and cultural opportunities.Missouri State is committed to benefiting our surrounding communities. We want to create the next generation of citizen leaders through an unrivaled educational experience that emphasizes a commitment to public affairs. With a campus c...ommunity filled with diverse perspectives, voices and opinions, Missouri State is fulfilling its commitment to address the needs of a changing society. We are a community of forward-thinking teachers, learners and leaders.We cultivate students of character who enter the workforce as well-rounded professionals and honest, confident individuals. We believe in innovation, bringing fresh, relevant ideas to our area.We are dedicated to enriching our city and region, whether through cultural offerings, research and scholarly endeavors, internship programs or the development of facilities that serve a broader community beyond our campus borders.When you work at Missouri State, you tap into a network of leaders with an appreciation for big-picture thinking and a continual desire to address the professional, personal and societal needs of our changing region. There's no limit to the statement we can make together.
BACK TO TOP
MPA Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else MPA has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at MPA Career Center.