Reporting to the Director of Undergraduate Admission, this position works as part of an admissions team responsible for the recruitment and admission of undergraduate students to Suffolk University. The Assistant Director of Admission will be involved in a range of on and off campus recruitment activities including school visits, community college visits, college fairs, counselor meetings and applicant interviews. The candidate will play an integral role in planning and implementing strategic initiatives for undergraduate enrollment.
- Represent the University at college fairs and in secondary schools and community colleges; may review transfer applications and issue credit evaluations when needed; freshman recruitment and file review. Travel/recruit approximately 10-12 weeks between the fall and spring, (including hosting area receptions and yield events). Responsible for coordinating and conducting off-campus interviews with students and families as requested. Demonstrated enthusiasm and understanding of the mission of the university's urban location and the unique opportunity this presents for prospective students.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate evaluation of approximately 800-1,000 applicants using a digital-based application system and issue admission decisions for honors consideration or special financial aid merit programs. Assist with second-reading applications for entry-level staff. Counsel applicants, families, school counselors, and transfer advisors on Suffolk University's admission policies and procedures.
- Assist the Director of Admission and Associate Directors in the onboarding, training, and mentorship of entry-level staff members including Admission Officers and Admission Counselors.
- Assist the Associate Director of Enrollment Visitor Services with yield activities such as conducting information sessions, Suffolk Showcase, and area receptions in select markets. Assist other offices with activities for newly accepted students such as advising, orientation, and course registration.
- Other specialized responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Coordinating specialized outreach for school counselor populations
Project management and supervision of student ambassadors/tour guides, including the coordination of call campaigns.
Assisting the email and marketing team with communications to prospective and admitted students and their families.
At least 2-3 years of experience working in college admission and recruitment
Bachelor's Degree; Master's Degree preferred.
Requires travel as well as evening and weekend work.
Ability and comfort with inter and intra-continental travel for several weeks at a time, usually in the fall months. Spring work required for yield events and recruitment programs.
Ability to work a rigorous schedule and flexible hours.
Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.
Strong time management and ability to meet strict, frequent deadlines.
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Ability to work independently and as part of a team on group projects.
Strong creativity and innovation; willingness to try new approaches to achieve desired objectives.
Strong computer proficiency including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and expertise in using social media to attract and recruit applicants.
Experience with reading and evaluating application materials using a digital based application system (Slate preferred).
Strong verbal communication skills - ability to speak publicly in front of small and large audiences.
Ability to engage and network with prospective applicants, families, transfer advisors, and secondary school counselors.
Ability to represent Suffolk University professionally, express the value of attending Suffolk.
Must have at least two years of driving experience and have a valid driver's license from the U.S. or U.S. Territories; must submit to an annual driver record check and maintain an acceptable driving record per university and/or insurance carrier requirements; must complete the University driver safety training within 60 days of hire and additional driver training as needed.
Internal Number: oFGfafwu
About Suffolk University
Located right in the heart of downtown Boston, Suffolk University gives its students unparalleled access to the city and all it offers.Our college green is the Boston Common. We are steps from dozens of historic sites like the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus' Boston and Suffolk blend together. That means our students have incredible access to a wealth of opportunities, whether it's museums and restaurants or internships and co-ops. At the same time, we also take pride in being a personal, student-centered school, where faculty and administrators know students by name. We take the time to recognize each student's promise, figure out what makes him or her tick, and build important mentoring relationships.As we have done since our founding, we strive for one thing at Suffolk: give students the tools they need to be successful, smart, and satisfied at whatever they choose to do.