Reporting to the library director, the library faculty member in this position coordinates and manages the reference, instruction, and access (circulation and interlibrary loan) operations of the library, providing a strategic vision for the development of these areas. This includes the management of at least two faculty members, and several full-time and part-time staff. This individual will also staff the reference desk, liaise with assigned academic departments, and perform collection development duties. This individual serves on the library management committee, which is responsible for high-level decision making related to the library.
Responsibility / Duty
Managing Reference, Instruction, and Access Services
- Provides a strategic vision for the development of reference, instruction, and access services.
- Function as the manager for all faculty and staff working in reference, instruction, and access services.
- Coordinates and supervises the development of services, service standards, student resources, and programming related to reference, instruction, and circulation services, to include, but not limited to, our embedded librarian program, library tutorials, interlibrary loan services, digital reference services, resource guides, class library instruction, user experience, and the library liaison program.
- Coordinates the staffing of the reference and circulation desks.
- Guides the development of policies and procedures related to these areas of the library.
- Creates and administers direct and indirect assessments that measure the effectiveness of these areas of the library. This includes setting goals for relevant areas of responsibility.
- Develops and leads special initiatives related to these areas of the library.
-Fosters a creative, team-oriented work environment.
Reference and Collection Development Duties
- Staffs the reference desk during assigned daytime hours.
- Staffs the reference desk during some evening hours each week.
- Staffs the reference desk during some weekend days each month.
- Staffs electronic reference services, including the library webchat.
- Staffs an electronic reference consortium through the library webchat.
- Creates library research guides and other student resources.
- Liaises with at least two academic departments.
- Performs collection development for at least two academic areas.
Faculty Research and Service
- Serves as a member of committees in the library and the University.
- Remains current in the discipline.
- Conducts and reports research.
- Participates in conferences and professional organizations.
- Pursues and assists with grants and other funding for special projects and initiatives.
-Other duties as assigned.
Master of Library Science or equivalent degree from an American Library Association accredited University or College.
At least two years of relevant professional experience.
Ability to meet research and service expectations as a professional track faculty member.
Ability to be proactive, flexible, and collaborative as a supervisor in order to accomplish departmental, library, and institutional goals.
Must be self-motivated, creative, and innovative. Excellent interpersonal relations skills.
Second masterâ™s degree in any academic field. Academic library experience.
Master of Library Science or equivalent degree from an American Library Association accredited university or college At least 2 years of professional library experience
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Internal Number: R-020540
About Texas A&M University - Central Texas
Texas A&M University-Central Texas is an upper-level university offering junior and senior-level coursework needed to successfully complete baccalaureate degrees and all coursework leading to the completion of graduate degrees. The University is committed to high quality, rigorous, and innovative learning experiences, and prepares students for lifelong learning through excellence in teaching, service, and scholarship.