Assist chairside with Dental Hygienists in the Dental Hygiene Recall Clinic. Assist with other patient care related responsibilities and general responsibilities as it relates to the Dental Hygiene Recall Clinic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Greet patients in a professional manner and escort to clinic.
(2) Assist chair side with the AEGD, Faculty Practice and the Recall Clinic.
(3) Perform dental assisting duties as they related to each specific clinical procedure as needed. This includes chair side assisting using four handed dentistry, operatory set up and breakdown following proper infection control procedures.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
(4) Periodontal charting and documenting as necessary using the electronic health record.
(5) Assist in data collection including, vital signs, periodontal charting, health histories and odontograms. Assist in all other patient related clinical responsibilities as necessary or requested.
(6) Expose, process, and mount radiographs.
(7) Assure that the clinic remain OSHA compliant following proper infection control.
(8) Manage and maintain instrument cassettes including inventory control, infection control, and replacement of instruments as necessary.
(9) Oversee and maintain an efficient control log for routine maintenance such as: suction lines, suction traps, suction filters, oxygen tanks, water bottles and filters, and ultrasonic tank.
(10) Ensure that all materials and supplies are readily available and stocked at all times. Maintain order lists for instruments, materials, supplies regularly.
(11) Assist in stocking and ordering supplies and materials as needed.
(12) Maintenance of all instruments and equipment.
(13) Maintain clinic laboratory, including organization and management of lab cases.
(14) Assist with front desk responsibilities as needed. Includes but not limited to making appointments, answering multi-line telephone, patient check-out and if appropriate, collecting payments.
(15) Assist in dismissal of patients.
(16) Take preliminary impressions and pour models.
(17) Educate patients, maintain proper records and other patient related duties.
(18) Perform light housekeeping and maintaining operatory cleanliness.
(19) Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
(1) A high school diploma or GED.
(2) Two years to five years experience.
(1) Minimum two years experience of chair side dental assisting.
(2) Dental assisting experience with both adults and children.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(1) Effective and efficient verbal and written communication skills.
(2) Proficient computer skills.
(3) Ability to work well in a team environment as well as independently.
(4) The ability to multitask.
(5) The ability to work with multiple providers.
(6) The ability to be culturally sensitive.
(7) Comfortable with paperless office (digital radiographs and computerized charts).
(8) Familiar with OSHA and HIPPA Compliance.
(9) Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision.
(10) Must be self motivated and achievement oriented.
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
(1) Radiology certification required.
(2) CPR certification required.
(3) CDA or RDA preferred.
Open Date: 05/20/2019
Salary/Pay Information: $14.09/hour minimum
Anticipated Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm
Internal Number: SF9763-TD001-0626-1117
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.