Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley's Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry.
The role will reside within the Finance Division, under the Finance Risk and Information Security and Control group (FinRISC) function and will support the Morgan Stanley 17a-5 Broker Dealer Compliance program and overall Finance Risk agenda. SEA 17a-5 is a significant regulatory requirement, which requires management to document, assess and make representations about the effectiveness of its internal control over compliance. Participation in this requires understanding of internal control activities, interpretation of the regulation and coordination of activities across the division.
The broader Finance Risk agenda includes, but is not limited to, governance of the Global End User Computing procedures, Risk & Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) governance and reporting, FDIC Improvement Act (FDICIA) testing, SOX Compliance Program, and other operational risk related topics. This dynamic position offers the candidate an exceptional opportunity to gain exposure and learn various processes across the Finance division.
The ideal candidate possesses banking/financial services experience, with a focus on internal controls. Additionally, the candidate should have knowledge of project management, process flow mapping, design and documentation of controls and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of management.
- Identify, document and assess key controls across Finance and Operations, as well as work with the business areas to institute proper controls and remediation strategies - Communicate findings and recommendations to management, determine root causes, obtain management's action plan for remediation in a timely manner and track findings through resolution - Develop and manage working relationships with key stakeholders, including Risk Managers and Business Process owners - Assist in the development and rollout of scoping methodology and testing strategy for the 17a-5 compliance program - Track metrics and coordinate reporting to project working groups, steering committees, senior management, internal audit, and external auditors - Document control deficiencies which are clear, concise and provide value to management - Comfortable with documenting front-to-back process and product flows - Able to identify gaps between implemented controls and key risks and recommend remediation actions - Analyze any changes to internal business processes and/or accounting standards to assess the potential risks and impacts to controls in place - Assist in various ad-hoc and broader Finance Risk agenda topics - Develop and manage global teams and maintain productive working relationships
- A bachelor's degree in an accounting, finance or business discipline or equivalent experience, preferably in financial services or in a public accounting firm
- Newly or part qualified accountant
- Ability to assist with documentation of ITGC and regulatory reporting process controls to support operational audits, including performing walkthroughs and developing process flow charts
- Detail oriented with exceptional organizational, analytical and problem solving abilities - Ability to work effectively on multiple projects under tight deadlines - Proficiency with data management, End User Computing Tools (spreadsheets and databases) and other standard computing applications (PowerPoint and Word) - Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate with key stakeholders and Management - Intellectual curiosity with a focus on information sharing - Strong relationship building skills - Ability to understand and document banking product concepts - Self-motivator and team player who brings a can-do approach - The flexibility to constantly learn and adapt in a fast-paced environment - Understanding of the internal control framework (specifically COSO) and of the concepts of control design and operational efficiency - Knowledge of 17a-5 requirements
Internal Number: 5833867
About Morgan Stanley
eFinancialCareers is a career site specializing in financial services.