FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
The Director, Program Evaluation and Quality Improvement is a member of the Community Collaboration for Collective Impact program (3CI) within Komen’s African-American Health Equity Initiative. The goal of the 3CI program is to reduce disparities in breast cancer outcomes within the African-American community by 25% within five years, starting in the 11 U.S. cities where the inequities are greatest. These cities include Memphis, St. Louis, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Washington, D.C., Virginia Beach, Los Angeles Metroplex, Philadelphia Metroplex, Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, and Baltimore. A Collective Impact model will guide the program. This model addresses complex social issues through long-term, cross-sector collaborative action and investment to maximize impact by creating community-driven systems change. The 3CI program will employ several program methods including assessing quality and increasing improvement of care delivery; improving care coordination through patient navigation and other means; and community advocacy.
The primary objective of Director, Program Evaluation and Quality Improvement is to support Susan G. Komen in achieving our overall Vision and Mission by:
- Leading the development and implementation of the overall monitoring and evaluation framework and quality improvement initiatives for the Community Collaboration for Collective Impact program (3CI).
- Strengthening the M&E system and building capacity of staff and program implementors to plan, manage, conduct and use M&E for more effective programming.
- Leading in-depth, community-based landscape analyses for each of the metropolitan areas served by the program.
- Leading the publication and dissemination of written reports and presentations related to progress, outcomes and lessons learned to inform donors, program partners, the public health field and other key stakeholders.
- Serving as a thought partner within a matrixed, multi-site team and using extensive experience leading communication, coordination and collaboration in addition to technical skills that are adaptable and flexible to meet the continuous improvement needs of the program.
- Providing supervision of the program evaluation team and collaborating with Komen’s Data Science and Impact team.
- Supporting revenue generating activities for the organization, including the creation and review of content for fundraising campaigns and donor prospects and participating in face to face donor meetings as needed.
- Promoting an organizational culture that values trust, commitment to the mission, scientific integrity, and professional and organizational growth.
Developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems and plans for the timely collection, management, analysis, and reporting of valid and reliable data to evaluate performance and outcomes of the 3CI program and to meet donor reporting requirements.
- Creates and updates a comprehensive yet navigable logic model and/or theory of change to provide a visualization of the program plans in a way that supports strategic action and guides in the planning of the 3CI evaluation.
- Builds and executes a program evaluation plan that aims to provide meaningful and actionable evaluation strategies regarding programmatic effectiveness and impact. The evaluation plan must include process and outcome evaluation methodologies.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive data collection strategy and system including plans for data management, storage and analysis. Ensures quality of data through data verification procedures, including routine quality assurance practices.
- Develops measurable program indicators to track progress toward achieving program goals.
- Ensures the alignment of work to the 3CI’s goals by developing metrics to track the impact of the work and utilizing data to inform decisions and develop strategies that ensure efficacy of the program goals.
- Monitors all program activities and progress towards achieving the program outputs and indicators.
- Collaborates with the program leadership and other mission leadership to help foster a data-driven culture across all programs and program staff.
- Provides data analysis for the evaluation of the program’s internal evaluation operations and functions, such as determining effectiveness of program monitoring and technical assistance practices.
- Creates strategies for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the program by identifying bottlenecks in completing program activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate them.
Leading the 3CI program’s quality health systems improvement initiative in the metropolitan areas served by the program and in collaboration with AA HEI leadership and other mission leadership as needed.
- Develops 3CI program’s quality health systems improvement strategy, implementation plan and metrics to measure and monitor progress toward achieving program goals
- Oversees QI data collection, management, analysis and selection of data collection tools.
- Trains program partners in QI data collection and submission processes, consistent across metropolitan areas, but adaptable to specific needs/strategies of each metropolitan area
- Develops requests for proposal to identify QI program partners, overseeing selection and contracting process, and managing programs from beginning to completion
Leading an in-depth, community-based landscape analyses for each of the metropolitan areas served by the African-American Health Equity Initiative’s 3CI program.
- Responsible for overall program management of in-depth, community-based landscape analyses for each of the metropolitan areas served by the 3CI program including planning, data collection, execution and management of the process.
- Works with landscape analysis contractor:
- To describe breast cancer rates and breast cancer screening rates and the contexts across all racial/ethnic/socioeconomic groups for African-American women in the targeted communities
- To assess factors contributing to breast cancer disparities, specifically assessing factors contributing to having access to breast cancer screening and quality breast health care and determining whether reasons differ in nature or in importance by racial/ethnic groups (African-American) and by socioeconomic status.
- To assess provider and other community stakeholder perspectives about provider and community level factors limiting patients’ ability to access care.
- To identify potential strategies that could be used to address the factors contributing to disparities in breast cancer screening and cancer based on findings
Leading the publication and dissemination of written reports and presentations related to program progress, outcomes and lessons learned to inform donors, program partners, the public health field and other key stakeholders.
- Develops accurate and comprehensive program progress reports to inform program funder(s) and key stakeholders of progress toward achieving the 3CI goal.
- Conducts program presentations at local and national conferences, workshops and events to disseminate information on program outcomes and lessons learned.
- Provides program data and outcomes to program leadership and team to monitor program benchmarks, improve program outcomes and guide the development of strategies for program interventions and scalability.
- Writes proposals as necessary to fund, sustain, or improve program evaluations or special programs.
Supervising evaluation staff including Manager, Evaluation and Analyst, Evaluation.
- Mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity, and teamwork
- Develops work plans and production schedules for assignments.
- Meets one on one and in a team basis for coaching, program management, etc.
- Crafts annual performance goals and reviews progress on a regular basis. Conducts annual performance reviews.
Other Duties as Assigned.