The Network Engineer supports all aspects of the College’s network infrastructure, including operations, maintenance, implementation, and administration of the network, servers, and telecommunications. The Network Engineer acts as an expert in IT infrastructure, providing guidance in evaluating, selecting, and implementing new networking technologies as appropriate. Along with the Network Systems Specialist, the Network Engineer is responsible for information security, day-to-day network monitoring, maintenance and resolution of complex network problems. The Network Engineer’s success depends on excellent communication, customer service, and critical-thinking skills, and a high-level of problem solving ability. In a fast-paced and intense work environment, professional demeanor, maturity, collaborative spirit and patience are highly desirable qualifications. The Network Engineer assists with project planning and execution to upgrade existing capabilities, and implement new functionality.
MassArt is one of five institutions in the Colleges of the Fenway consortium, and the Colleges share a wide area network called Colleges of the Fenway Area Network (COFAN). We work collaboratively with other institutions to maintain, manage and upgrade the network to ensure performance, reliability and redundancy.
The Network Engineer will work normal business hours 9a-5p Monday through Friday weekly, but the position requires on-call duty, and regularly requires work outside of normal business hours (early morning, evening, weekends, holidays, etc.)
DUTIESANDRESPONSIBILITIES: - Manages, researches, designs, tests and deploys network and telecommunications infrastructure and software, facilitates changes and upgrades, and resolves complex support issues.
- Configures, monitors, and maintains wired and wireless voice and data network infrastructure including basic wiring, switches, wireless access points, and network access control, across a multi-building campus.
- Collaborates with system administrators to manage essential network services, including DNS, DHCP, Active Directory domain services, endpoint protection, and virtualization technologies.
- Develops, implements, manages and enforces network and system policies, and assures network is in compliance with MassArt policies, and federal, state, and local regulations.
- Oversees network and system monitoring, reviews alerts, and responds appropriately.
- Deploys, manages and maintains network information security systems and services, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, encryption protocols, and monitoring.
- Creates and maintains network documentation, including network topology, equipment inventory and administrative procedures.
- Works with vendors and external network consultants as needed.
- Collaborates, communicates, and cooperates with staff to minimize network disruptions to the campus community, ensure consistent communications to constituents regarding network and system status, and achieve organizational and institutional objectives.
- Collaborates with technical staff and leaders at other COF institutions, state colleges and universities, and community colleges to identify and leverage opportunities for shared technology services.
- Assists with research on new technologies, project planning and project management.
- Performs other duties as assigned
The Network Engineer will promote the College’s commitment to collegiality by: - Building effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the College by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed. - Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information. - Maintaining an environment that is welcoming and inclusive to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
Review of applications will begin April 25th and will continue until the position is filled.
- Three years experience administering enterprise networks and infrastructure.
- Demonstrated experience working with some of the following: • Wired and wireless networks. • Switching, routing, next generation firewalls. • Active Directory. • DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, UDP, VLANs, VPN, telephony, SSL/TLS, multicasting, and encryption. • Network topology, network architecture, protocol stacks and layers, network access control, overlay/virtual networks. • Cloud computing and cloud-based networking.
- Incumbent routinely lifts and carries equipment weighing up to 50 pounds; stoops, bends, stretches, crouches and crawls to install and maintain service network infrastructure, including under desks and in crawl spaces; and travels to various locations to conduct assessments and site inspections on network equipment
About Massachusetts College of Art and Design
The five educational institutions that make up Colleges of the Fenway view diversity as a key component in the growth of our students' educational experience as well as our ongoing journey as professionals charged with maintaining the world class status of our institutions. By drawing from a wide cultural palette, we ensure that we have access to the full range of talent available. Through our respect for the vast array of backgrounds we create an environment that will help that talent grow. It is within an environment of respect that we are able to build and work toward our goals. Our goal is to create an atmosphere that values mutual respect. All Colleges of the Fenway members have policies and practices designed to safeguard our healthy environment as well as provide the support and access needed to do so. The Colleges of the Fenway are located in the heart of Boston?s academic, scientific and cultural communities and is within walking distance from landmarks such as the Museum of Fine Arts, Fenway Park, Symphony Hall and world renowned medical institutions. Jobs at Emmanuel College: http://emmanuel.edu/About_Emmanuel/Employment.htmlJobs at Massachusetts College of Art and Desig...n: http://www.massart.edu/About_MassArt/Careers.htmlJobs at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: http://www.mcphs.edu/about-mcphs/careers-at-mcphsJobs at Simmons College: http://simmons.edu/overview/about/jobs/Jobs at Wentworth Institute of Technology: https://jobs.wit.edu/