The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs seeks a Director of Business Development. The Director consistent with the UI Health’s mission and vision, and in partnership with senior leaders from across the health system including the University of Illinois College of Medicine, UI Hospital, Mile Square Health Center, the Medical Service Plan (MSP), and the health colleges. Create business development plans to drive profitable growth, conduct market analysis, develop pro formas, generate new revenue opportunities and provide project management. Coordinate the implementation of strategic initiatives and projects including business development, physician alignment, new business ventures, clinical service line development, partner affiliations, provider outreach and network/market expansion. Support the setting of goals and metrics that align with system strategy and monitor performance.
In addition, develop strong working relationships with the necessary resources within UI Health to ensure success of system growth across all business units. Those resources may include: physician relations, analytics, finance, managed care, marketing, legal, service line development, and operational leaders. Serve as a key member of the VCHA team. Serve as business development analytical support for community-based practice within the Mile Square Health Center clinic network. Duties and responsibilities include:
1. In collaboration with all divisions of UI Health, leads business development planning for the health system and its clinical departments assuring integration with the overall strategic plan
2. Conduct external market analysis, financial analysis, and internal analysis and works collaboratively with clinical leadership to synthesize these assessments into clinical growth plans and measures under the direction of the Assistant Vice President.
3. Helps develop a standard, transparent approach for the evaluation of business plans and growth opportunities within the health system creating the necessary tools and reports to support these efforts.
4. Assesses external clinical partnership opportunities within the city and state.
5. Oversees project management of business development initiatives.
6. Provide business development expertise to Mile Square including reviewing and forming recommendations on the budget, operational performance, business and grant opportunities, care delivery models and alignment with UI Health goals and strategies.
7. Prepares presentations and communicates business plan goals, objectives, and targets as appropriate.
8. Serves as a thought leader on innovations in health care delivery, revenue enhancement and growth strategies.
9. Provide leadership in physician outreach strategy to support growth of referrals within the service lines and with external community-based partners.
10. Committee membership: Represent Business Development office in meetings with members of the College of Medicine, Hospital Leadership and VCHA office; serve as the primary staff person to the Business Development Committee; meet with members of key partner departments including patient experience, marketing, patient access, finance and managed care.
Master’s degree in Business Administration, Health Care Administration or related field
Knowledge and Experience
1. Minimum 3 years progressive healthcare experience in business development including experience in market analysis, financial modeling, and strategy. Five or more years of experience is preferred.
2. Experience managing alliances, partnerships and collaborations, and developing new business ventures.
3. Demonstrated success at relationship-building, communication, emotional intelligence, critical thinking, and influence to interact with all levels of organization and drive change.
4. Experience with community-based practices and networks is preferred.
5. Knowledge of provider billing practices and reimbursement including FQHC payment mythologies is preferred.
6. Expertise with analytical software, budget/finance tools, spreadsheets and Microsoft Office Suite.
7. Demonstrated analytical skills to gather, interpret, and present complex market and pro forma data.
8. Project management experience and ability to use software tools to coordinate projects.
9. Knowledgeable of healthcare industry trends, issues, and solutions and demonstrated professional leadership.
10. Strong interpersonal skills that reflect courtesy, diplomacy, and a collaborative approach to develop and maintain effective work relationships.
11. Skilled using Microsoft Office suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as proficiency with an Internet browser (e.g. Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or comparable browser).
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references at jobs.uic.edu/.
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
System Human Resource Services 809 S. Marshfield Ave MC 078 Chicago, IL 60612 (312) 996-5130
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Internal Number: Job ID #111600
About UI Health
The University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System (UI Health) provides comprehensive care, education, and research to the people of Illinois and beyond. A part of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), UI Health comprises a clinical enterprise that includes a 465-bed tertiary care hospital, 21 outpatient clinics, and 11 Mile Square Health Center facilities, which are Federally Qualified Health Centers. It also includes the seven UIC health science colleges: the College of Applied Health Sciences; the College of Dentistry; the School of Public Health; the Jane Addams College of Social Work; and the Colleges of Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing, including regional campuses in Peoria, Quad Cities, Rockford, Springfield, and Urbana. UI Health is dedicated to the pursuit of health equity.