Incorporated in 1969, The Family Institute at Northwestern University is committed to strengthening and healing families, couples, children and adults through the highest quality, relationship-based mental health services. As partners to see change, The Family Institute brings together research, education and clinical practice leading to growth for our clients, the next generation of therapists and the field of behavioral health.
2019 marks The Family Institute's 50th year of offering high quality mental health counseling. As a team of more than 175 therapists and therapists-in-training practicing in four Chicagoland locations: downtown Chicago, Evanston, Northbrook and Westchester, The Family Institute provides therapy for people from all walks of life.
The Family Institute conducts cutting-edge research to better understand mental health issues and treatment, operating two nationally-renowned graduate programs through the Center for Applied Psychological and Family Studies at Northwestern University in Counseling and Marriage and Family Therapy. For more information, visit www.family-institute.org.
The Development and Communications Manager is an integral member of the External Relations team and he/she is tasked with helping to drive contributed revenues and supporting growth of earned revenue to fund our non-profit work as a renowned leader in family focused behavioral health care. The Development and Communications Manager reports to the Director of Development and Communications. He/she also works with other departmental and programmatic staff as well as supports the Board of Directors to strategically implement high impact fundraising and implement internal and external communications strategies. Over the course of the next year, the Development and Communications Manager will gain experience in and be closely involved with several exciting initiatives of the External Relations department, including The Family Institute’s 50th anniversary, expansion of a grateful client program and working closely with public relations agency on media relations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following specific areas, and also can widen depending on the candidate’s experience and interests:
• Develop content, design and implement a variety of strategic messaging initiatives including, but not limited, to e-mails, newsletters, brochures, social media, website and other digital communications, in alignment with brand guidelines and incorporating proper tone and style to ensure the engagement of multiple key target audiences (including but not limited to clients, professionals, donors, alumni, faculty, etc.).
• Works with the External Relations team members to evaluate the success of the organization’s communications efforts to optimize our resources and priorities.
• Take active role in developing website content and work closely with Director of Development and Communications to ensure our deliverables are completed in a timely and effective manner.
• Responsible for ongoing and as requested search engine optimization projects and content updates.
• Manage Raiser’s Edge database, maximizing its full potential and maintaining data entry standards, policies, and procedures to ensure database integrity and quality control.
• Conduct database audits, data analytics, and queries and generate analytical reports as well as mailing and donor recognition lists.
• Manage the back-end processes for donor solicitations and cultivation pieces.
Gift Processing Management
• Manage gift processing including, gift entry, generate daily validation reports, and acknowledgement letters.
• Reconcile gifts with and produce weekly and monthly reports for Finance.
Research and Proposals
• Perform prospect research on individuals, foundations, and corporations to evaluate prospects.
• Maintain actions and calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports and gather information necessary to report to funders on current programs.
• Support Director of Development and Communications in creating strong proposals and reports for funders.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION:
• Must be able to take ownership of projects, juggle and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously, and work well in a team environment.
• Excellent analytical, research, writing, and editing skills are essential along with experience writing, editing, and publishing for both print and electronic (web-based and social media) formats.
• Strong understanding of the importance of brand messaging and knowledgeable about internal and external online communications strategies; skilled at creation and distribution of content marketing across multiple online channels.
• Must possess an ability to work well under pressure and the ability to seek and synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct form.
• Candidate must be self-motivated, highly detail-oriented, timeline-driven, and very organized.
• Believe in the mission of The Family Institute and develop a passion for our work.
• Be willing to “go the extra mile” and work hard, and be willing to work behind the scenes to further the goals and mission of The Family Institute; occasional evening and weekend hours.
• A high level of computer literacy required. Preference will be given to candidates with proficiency in Raisers Edge 7 or NXT, Constant Contact or Adobe Creative Suite.
• Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree required.
• 3 years (minimum) working experience.
About The Family Institute at Northwestern University
Since the 1960s, The Family Institute at Northwestern University has been committed to strengthening and healing families and individuals from all walks of life through clinical service, education and research. The Institute provides counseling and psychotherapy throughout the Chicago metropolitan area and now helps more than 7,000 people annually.
The Family Institute also operates graduate programs in marriage and family therapy and counseling at Northwestern University and conducts important research projects that lead to better understanding of mental health issues. The distinguished professional staff and faculty include internationally recognized experts who combine the roles of therapist/teacher/scientist.