OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
ABOUT GEISINGER: Geisinger is a physician-led health system comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan Geisinger is nationally recognized for innovative practices and quality care. Geisinger serves more than 3 million people in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient AtlantiCare, A member of Geisinger. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine became the newest member of the Geisinger Family.
The Geisinger Health System (GHS) Data Governance Program is a key enabling component of the GHS Enterprise Data Strategy. As a member of the GHS Data Governance Office (DGO), the Enterprise Data Steward associate works with other DGO members to: • Ensure the values, goals and objectives of the Geisinger DGO support the overall mission, vision, and values of the Geisinger Health System. • Continuously improve the GHS Data Governance Program vision, strategy, and framework to maintain alignment with Geisinger's Enterprise Data Strategy. • Measurably increase the value of Geisinger's data assets by identifying and managing data quality issues, planning and executing data quality improvement projects, and continuously monitoring data quality metrics. • Contribute to the GHS Data Stewardship, Data Quality Improvement and Metadata Management Programs.
As a key member of the Enterprise Data Governance team, the Associate works closely and collaboratively with system stakeholders to build consensus for key Data Governance initiatives and decisions. The Associate reports to either the Director, Enterprise Data Governance or the Enterprise Data Steward Lead.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: - Ensures all Data Governance efforts align with GHS business objectives and the GHS Data Governance vision and strategy. - Defines, investigates, and resolves data quality issues. - Contributes to the GHS Data Stewardship Program. Key responsibilities include: a. Performs as a Project Data Steward. b. Develops, implements, and maintains the policies, procedures, processes, artifacts, documents, and training materials required to operate the GHS Data Stewardship Program. c. Works with the Enterprise Data Steward Lead and GHS Data Advisory Group to identify the domain, business, technical, project, and operational data stewards that comprise the GHS Data Stewardship community. d. Trains data stewards to use data profiling, metadata management, and business glossary tools. e. Contributes to the Data Stewardship repository of references, records, knowledge base articles, and training materials. - Contributes to the GHS Data Quality Improvement Program. Key responsibilities include: a. Contributes to Data Quality projects aligned with the GHS Data Governance vision and strategy. Contribute to the GHS Data Quality Project Prioritization process. b. Collaborates with Data Quality project teams to ensure delivered solutions are timely and aligned with the GHS Data Governance Program vision and strategy. c. Contributes to the Data Quality Issue Management Process. Meet with Data Stewards and key business stakeholders to understand business impacts, user requirements, and the feasibility of proposed solutions. d. Contributes to the GHS Data Advisory Group’s repository of Data Quality Improvement Program references, working documents, records, and meeting materials. e. Increase enterprise data quality and reliability through continuous process improvement. Defines, implements, and manages Data Quality metrics. Tracks, monitors, and publishes Data Quality scorecards.
- Contributes to the GHS Metadata Management Program. Key responsibilities include: a. Identifies GHS metadata requirements and contribute to the enterprise metadata architecture. b. Follows enterprise procedures and standards to create, monitor, integrate, and manage metadata. c. Contributes to a managed metadata environment. Create and maintain the metadata required to establish lineage for business-critical data elements. d. Coordinates with the Enterprise Information Management Information Technology (IT) Team to manage the enterprise metadata repositories and maintain the metadata environments as required. e. Increases enterprise metadata quality and reliability through continuous process improvement. Monitors and certifies metadata quality as required. 6. Assists with the evaluation, selection, implementation, and support of new data management technologies to support data stewardship, data quality, metadata management, data architecture, data modeling, data warehousing and business intelligence, master and reference data, data security, and data integration functions.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS: TECHNICAL - Demonstrates an understanding of Data Governance activities (e.g., developing and implementing data standards, policies, practices, and procedures that lead to substantive improvements in data quality). - Demonstrates an understanding of data management functions including data stewardship, data quality, metadata management, data architecture, data modeling, data warehousing and business intelligence, master and reference data, data security, and data integration. - Demonstrates an understanding of tools used to support data management such as business glossary, metadata management, data profiling and data modeling. Demonstrates some knowledge of data management techniques and best practices. - Demonstrates an understanding of the healthcare industry. Demonstrates a willingness to maintain awareness of major healthcare trends.
INDIVIDUAL - Collaborates with cross-functional teams of IT professionals, business leaders, and other key stakeholders to achieve common goals and objectives. Interacts effectively in a team environment. Demonstrates an understanding of facilitation and project management skills. - Proactively resolves issues. Demonstrates a willingness to mentor both hard and soft skills to other highly educated analysts. - Demonstrates mathematical, statistical, financial, and organizational skills. Good analytical skills with the ability to identify and quantify business risks associated with data quality. - Demonstrates a deep and consistent focus on exceptional customer service both to internal and external customers. - Demonstrates good interpersonal, oral and written communication, and presentation skills. - Demonstrates the ability to work independently. - Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint, and Visio.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Biostatistics (or related), Business, Epidemiology, Industrial Engineering or other relevant analytical/data field required.
- Minimum of one year of healthcare data management experience required.
- Minimum of two years of non-healthcare data management experience required may substitute for the above healthcare data management experience requirement.
- Associate’s degree in a relevant field required. Minimum of four years of experience in one of the above areas required.
- Prefer one year of experience in clinical healthcare operations including demonstrated experience in performance improvement, business process redesign, and Lean or Six Sigma projects. Prefer one year demonstrated experience with data produced and used for clinical, operational, billing or claims activities in a complex health care environment.
- Experience with the Informatica suite of data management tools (Data Profiler, Business Glossary, and Metadata Manager) preferred. Experience with the ERwin Data Modeler tool preferred.
- Understanding of Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence concepts preferred. - Experience with relational databases such as Oracle, Microsoft, Teradata preferred. - Experience with analytic tools such as BusinessObjects, Altosoft, Crystal Reports, and Tableau preferred.
- Experience with healthcare data privacy, access, use, and release regulations and procedures preferred. Data management experience in a big data environment preferred.
- Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) certification preferred. Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred. Experience or certification in agile project management methodologies preferred. Experience or certification in continuous improvement methodologies (Lean Six Sigma, etc.) preferred.
***If a suitably experienced candidate cannot be found, applicants who meet the basic qualifications but possess fewer years of experience will be considered for hire at a lower level. Salary would commensurate with experience***
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.