Project Director / Research Specialist Department of Social & Behavioral Sciences University of California, San Francisco
Position Start Date: May 1, 2019 or as negotiated.
The Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, at the University of California, San Francisco, announces a search for a Project Director/Research Specialist, a non-faculty academic position. Appointment will be at the Associate or Full Specialist rank, depending upon the finalist's level of experience. This position is based in San Francisco, CA, and is a full-time position (with protected time for independent research); the initial appointment will be for one year.
The Project Director's primary responsibility will be to assist the Principal Investigator, Dr. Janet Shim, Chair and Professor in the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, on the SocNet Study ("A Social Network Analysis of Poverty and Health Care Utilization"). The SocNet Study is funded by the National Science Foundation, and other members of the investigator team include Brea Perry (Indiana University), Nancy Burke (UC Merced), and Irene Yen (UC Merced). The aims of this mixed- methods study are to: (1) identify the social network characteristics and complex, interacting social and medical vulnerabilities of individuals in the healthcare safety net; (2) examine longitudinal relationships among social network dynamics, health behaviors, services utilization, and chronic disease management to identify social mechanisms that foster or undermine patients' engagements with healthcare institutions; and (3) assess the strength, functions, and structural position of formal and informal caregivers to understand the co-evolving roles of institutions and lay persons in patients' social networks.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to contribute substantively to the intellectual work of the SocNet Study, participating fully in study design, data collection and analysis, and research publications. The Project Director may also become involved in directing additional other research projects, depending on need and mutual interest. The Project Director will oversee the administration of the research project(s), including data management and compliance with research regulations (such as human subjects protection), and provide supervision of and mentorship to junior researchers and research staff. Additionally, the incumbent will have the opportunity to develop and work on her/his own or other projects. Management of the SocNet Study and any other projects will require 80% of the incumbent's total work effort; the remaining 20% may be spent on other/independent projects.
Responsibilities include: • Conduct and manage data collection, including ethnographic observation, in-depth interviews, and survey administration. • Participate in and co-lead data analysis, report writing, and research publications. • Oversee compliance with research regulations (such as human subjects protection). • Present research findings at meetings, seminars, and conferences. • Manage and coordinate the research team. • Organize and co-lead study team meetings. • Supervise and mentor junior research team members. • Carry out independent and/or collaborative research.
Qualifications include: • Ph.D. or equivalent in a social science discipline (e.g., sociology, anthropology, etc.) or in public health, with training in qualitative research methods. PhD may be in process at the time of application, but must be completed by the time of hire. • Experience with qualitative research methodologies such as in-depth interviewing and ethnographic observation. • Ability to collaborate across disciplines and institutions, while working independently. • Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including in one-on-one interactions as well as in groups. • Excellent organizational and managerial skills. • Experience with federally funded research and/or with mixed methods projects, and with project management, is preferred.
UCSF seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit the following materials: • Cover letter that includes: qualifications based on the position details above; description of prior research experience including methods used; and dates of availability. • Statement of Research that describes research interests, and areas of research expertise • Current CV • Writing sample • Statement of contributions to diversity • Names and contact information for at least three references.