Advertised Summary Job Description: Reporting to the Practice Plan Director and working closely with the Associate Practice Plan Director, the Assistant Director will be responsible for overall performance improvement, project management and outcome optimization across revenue generating areas such as patient access (scheduling and registration), service authorizations, charge capture/processing, billing, and the electronic systems used in these areas.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Responsible for the overall performance and outcomes of multiple sites, including the ability to develop protocols, lead projects and initiate department-wide change.
- Manages non clinical staff in a manner that promotes optimal productivity, achieves patient and physician satisfaction and engages employees to perform at their highest level, all consistent with the ColumbiaDoctors/NewYork-Presbyterian System.
- Provides on-site direct leadership and management, by coaching, developing and empowering direct reports.
- Develops standards of practices and implements process for responding to patient and employee concerns and issues.
- Serves as a liaison between physician practices, management, and supporting departments while working closely with the outreach team.
- Utilizes education, experience and analytical judgment to perform critical job elements ensuring patient and physician satisfaction, fostering positive relationships.
- Coordinates process improvement and daily quality monitoring of key performance metrics and accuracy of accounts. Establishes a monitoring system to understand trends, system issues and make appropriate recommendations for process improvement, proactively developing and focusing on implementation of changes.
- Coordinate the integration of pre-registration, pre-certification insurance verification and medical necessity checks for all patients for each facility with scheduling to ensure resolution of relevant matters.
- Works closely with site managers to coordinate front end registration activities to ensure that all required patient information is accurately updated, and visits are appropriately financially cleared.
- Ensures adequate professional staffing levels. Responsible for the coordination of staffing needs to support accurate completion of all scheduled patients prior to the date of service.
- Comply with denials management policy to determine cause, resolve and assist with preparation for appeal or re-bill for outpatient claims.
- Upgrade, build, block and maintain all programs associated with the patient access financial clearance functions.
- Oversees and coordinates all facets of the day-to-day services and operations of patient access areas, ensuring compliance with all policies, procedures, regulations, and standards of practice.
- Accountable for meeting the performance goals and objectives of the Radiology Call Center.
- Works with Practice Plan Director to determine patient access operational strategies by conducting needs assessments and performance reviews.
- Uses quantitative and qualitative data to create monthly reports to present to the Practice Plan Director.
- Makes recommendations to and participates in policy discussions with Practice Plan Director to obtain optimum efficiency in the utilization of staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
General Minimum Qualifications: Requires a Bachelor's degree plus four years of related experience preferably in the healthcare field. Master's degree preferred.
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications: Must have strong strategic planning and implementation skills; ability to communicate effectively; superior communications, written and interpersonal skills. Knowledge of current technology and application of ever-changing healthcare workflow strategies strongly desirable.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Internal Number: 126_174788
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.