he Chesapeake Bay Foundation seeks a Director of Membership to be based at its Philip Merrill Environmental Center headquarters located in Annapolis, MD.
THE CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION
Established in 1967, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to saving the Chesapeake Bay, its rivers and streams, and the wildlife that call it home through education, advocacy, litigation, and restoration. Since 2010, CBF has engaged in a focused effort to defend and implement the Chesapeake Clean Water Blueprint, a binding federal and state collaborative agreement aimed at reducing pollution to the science-based, legally-affirmed levels established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Blueprint is expected to be fully implemented by 2025. If the states and the federal government achieve Blueprint goals, the Bay will finally—after decades of failed efforts—be removed from the Clean Water Act’s impaired waters list. Successfully implementing the Blueprint depends on a well-informed, engaged, active, and diverse constituency of members, advocates, and volunteers who speak up and take action to save the Bay.
CBF has a staff of approximately 190 employees working in offices in Annapolis, Maryland; Richmond and Virginia Beach, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C. as well as 15 field education program locations. Our staff and volunteer corps work throughout the region educating students and adults, advocating for clean water policies, restoring waterways, and litigating when necessary.
CBF's headquarters office in Annapolis, Maryland is the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, the world’s first U.S. Green Build Council’s LEED platinum building. In 2014, CBF opened the Brock Environmental Center—one of the world’s most energy efficient, environmentally smart buildings—in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
CBF has an annual budget of approximately $26 million and is supported by more than 275,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF, please visit cbf.org.
CONTEXT OF THE POSITION
Responsible for maintaining and expanding CBF’s annual support fundraising program focused on members (donors giving less than $1,000) and elevating those members to higher levels of giving. Develops and manages annual campaigns for direct mail, workplace giving, and online fundraising programs. Conducts analysis of all direct marketing and member services activities such as issue appeals, membership renewals, and new member acquisitions. Develops and monitors departmental revenue and expense budgets. Supervises the Associate Director of Membership.
Essential functions include:
1. Develop and manage annual membership fundraising campaigns to acquire, retain, cultivate, and upgrade CBF members. • Develop fundraising strategies for new member acquisition, membership renewal, issue appeal, workplace giving, and other special membership programs. • Test new creative package concepts and formats to increase response rates, revenue per donor, and lifetime value. • Develop new segmentation strategies to increase net revenue. • Test new methods of acquiring and retaining members and increasing total giving. • Market workplace giving program online and via special publications, schedule in person tabling opportunities, and advertise through the CBF magazine. • Develop upgrade strategies and response techniques to maximize revenue.
2. Manage annual and long-term membership fundraising budgets and revenue goals. • Prepare membership department budget and workplan. • Prepare monthly cash flow projections (expenses and revenue) and regular analyses of program performance, adjust budget forecasts as needed. • Analyze membership programs for short- and long-term net revenue potential and overall membership growth opportunities.
3. Direct fundraising staff and consultants to strategically plan, develop, write, design, and implement all membership campaigns. • Supervise Associate Director of Membership to assure quality coordination of package development and mail production activities. • Work closely with the Data and Systems Analyst to achieve data segmentation needs, file transfers, etc. • Review and streamline procedures to maintain or improve quality control. • Select, hire and manage external team of vendors and service providers including but not limited to fundraising consultants, production service team, data management service team, list brokerage, designer, copywriter, and other related service providers. Responsible for following CBF’s RFP and contract process.
4. Evaluate membership program performance. • Review/analyze prospect list and package performance, develop strategies for file segmentation and targeting to increase productivity of fundraising campaigns. • Evaluate all programs for short- and long-term net revenue potential. • Conduct comprehensive key performance indicator analysis of trends such as retention rates, file growth-decline, lifetime value, upgrade performance, and longevity.
5. Affect CBF Cross Departmental Responsibility to Members. • Work with all departments to create an ethic within CBF that all CBF staff share the responsibility for and are involved in recruiting and engaging members. • Foster close working relationship with Communications Department especially related to digital fundraising. • Make full use of the valuable opportunities that exist throughout CBF for member recruitment. • Maintain a constant level of support and act as liaison with all departments in developing and maintaining ongoing member recruitment and engagement strategies.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s degree with additional fundraising training through professional experience. Ten years of experience in direct marketing or non-profit fundraising is essential. Knowledge of accounting operations and thorough knowledge of development department functions. General knowledge of other CBF department functions. Proficient in database systems and MS Office software. Excellent oral/written communication skills.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements through job posting on CBF website no later than March 8, 2019.
CBF offers a comprehensive benefits package to include: 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, health, vision, dental, life insurance, and a tax deferred retirement plan.
CBF encourages diverse candidates to apply and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. CBF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
About Chesapeake Bay Foundation
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) is the largest regional non-profit conservation organization working solely to save the Bay. Established in 1967, CBF has a staff of approximately 185 employees working in offices in Annapolis and Salisbury, Maryland; Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Washington, D.C., and in 17 field education program locations. CBF's headquarters office is in the Philip Merrill Environmental Center, a “cutting edge,” environmentally responsible building located in Annapolis, Maryland.CBF has an annual budget of approximately $21 million and is supported by more than 200,000 members and e-subscribers. For more information on CBF please visit www.cbf.org.