Commissioning Editor – Physics publisher seeks Commissioning Editor who will beresponsible for strategically acquiring first edition ebook titles as well as managing their context though appropriate digital channels.
Why Should You Apply?
If you are a talented editor who can attract and retain established and up and coming scientific authors for new ebook opportunities, then this is the position for you.
AIP Publishing is looking for a Commissioning Editor to join a new in-house ebook publishing team. The role works cross functionally with internal and external stakeholders throughout the ebook acquisition and development process. The Commissioning Editor will need to:
· Work with the Publisher, ebooks to determine the strategic, publishing, and editorial direction of the books portfolio
· Identify emerging and established thought leaders in physics and related areas of physical science
· Acquire new content and sign new updates and other content as required
· Research & initiate new opportunities for business development by consulting with qualified AIPP Editors-in-Chief & journal authors, ensuring the program reflects the prestige of the AIPP journals program
· Prepare contracts and negotiate with authors on approved projects
· Attend topical conferences and visit research institutions to conduct author outreach, engage with the community, and to develop and promote the portfolio
·Track key performance indicators and ensure title success by devising, implementing and executing strategy to meet set targets
· Partner with Marketing to develop a strategy which reflects both scientific, marketing, and sales goals for each title
· Collaborate with internal business units to maintain a vibrant online presence
· Ensure marketing messages are updated on a regular basis and adapt to meet the changing needs of the community
Job Location and Qualifications:
This role will be based in AIP Publishing’s Long Island offices in New York and, as such, candidates must have the right to live and work in the United States.
- A Ph.D. in a related area of physical sciences is desirable along with in-depth knowledge of the market and industry.
- Experience (3+ years) working in editorial acquisitions/marketing for scientific books or review journals is also highly preferable.
Skills and Abilities:
· Ability to assess customer needs and market trends through consistent interaction with relevant communities
· Exceptional written, oral communication and presentation skills
· Highly developed interpersonal and diplomatic skills; ability to exercise sound judgment in decision-making
· Highly computer literate knowledge of/experience with internet-based scientific communication.
· Strong customer relationship management and partnership skills
· Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple priorities
· Excellent teamwork, time management, and organizational skills as well as the ability to take responsibility, assess complex situations, and work on own initiative.
· Travel (including international) is a requirement
To apply please submit a resume along with a brief statement highlighting the unique skills you would bring to this role.
AIP Publishing is a wholly owned not-for-profit subsidiary of the American Institute of Physics (AIP). AIP Publishing’s mission is to support the charitable, scientific and educational purposes of AIP through scholarly publishing activities in the fields of the physical and related sciences on its own behalf, on behalf of Member Societies of AIP, and on behalf of other publishing partners to help them proactively advance their missions. AIP Publishing’s portfolio comprises 28 highly regarded, peer-reviewed journals, including the flagship journals Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics, and The Journal of Chemical Physics, in addition to the AIP Conference Proceedings.
AIP Publishing offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, retirement and tuition assistance as well as an onsite fitness center. Our new collaborative office design encourages innovation and creativity with a variety of flexible spaces to suit a variety of working styles. At AIP Publishing, ideas and suggestions are encouraged and valued. Our employees are our most valuable assets, working together as a team to meet the needs of our customers.
AIP Publishing LLC is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer
About AIP Publishing
AIP Publishing lives by a promise to researchers: to ensure that all findings with the potential to advance the physical sciences are presented, promoted, and permanently available as the building blocks of future discoveries.
We exist to connect our authors and readers to a living legacy of published science, to peers and institutions across the globe, and to services, tools, and platforms that expand the impact and reach of their work. Even as the scholarly publishing universe continues to change, our commitment to the scientific community will always remain constant.