Career Description Advanced Research Systems (ARS), a leading manufacturer of cryogenic laboratory equipment, is seeking an engineer with at least 5 years of innovative design experience. The successful candidate will have expertise in some or all of the following areas: vacuum, cryogenics, heat transfer, vibration isolation and scientific laboratory applications. The candidate will be committed to understanding and meeting our customers’ needs, working in close coordination with our sales and production staff. High proficiency with solid modeling packages, especially Solid Works, is needed on day one, as well as a practical understanding of production environments.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will report to the Chief Technology Officer and will play a major role in improving existing products, as well as designing next-generation products. The demands and projects will at times be of high strategic value. The work environment offers an open exchange of ideas within small teams, and a frequent change-of-pace among office, production floor, and customer-site work. Candidates with education levels ranging from bachelors to doctorate, and work experience greater than 5 years will be considered.
• Education levels ranging from Bachelors to PhD will be considered, together with a record of accomplished projects or portfolio.
• Five or more years of professional experience in areas related to vacuum, heat transfer, cryogenics, and other laboratory equipment technologies.
• High proficiency using solid modeling software (ready to roll on day one).
• Ability to work independently on project management and remain flexible inside a collaborative environment.
• Legally eligible to work and reside in the USA
Responsibilities • Provide immediate engineering support for existing sales orders by creating or modifying solid CAD models, issuing drawings, and reviewing jobs throughout their production cycle in the factory.
• Work closely with the sales and production teams to understand customer requirements and to establish timelines for the design, production, testing, shipping, and installation of customer orders.
• Identify and drive improvements impacting the performance and reliability of existing products including cryocoolers, vacuum chambers, temperature-regulated low-vibration sample interfaces, superconducting magnet systems, compressors and automated gas handling systems.
• Work closely with the Chief Technology Officer, sales and engineering colleagues to conceive new products based on market and customer requirements.
• Participate in equipment testing, analyze results, and communicate the main findings.
• Visit customer sites to support the installation and commissioning of complex systems (<5% Travel).
• Stay on top of the latest developments in laboratory equipment technology and the needs of the scientific community, by participating in workshops, conferences, and training opportunities.
Employee Benefits Paid Vacation, Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, 401K. Pay is commensurate with experience.
About Advanced Research Systems
ARS manufactures cryogenic equipment for applications and experiments—from quantum optics, to optical spectroscopy, to neutron scattering. ARS specializes in helium-free cryostats, flow cryostats, and cryogenic probe stations. The company's closed cycle cryostats have a temperature range of 1.5 K to 350 K, and low vibrations between 3 to 5 nm at the sample. ARS Flow Cryostats have atomic level resolution ideal for SPM and STM. ARS has a full range of standard and custom probe stations with closed cycle and flow cryostat options, both featuring 9T-superconducting magnet options, optional nanometer vibration interfaces, and a temperature range of 1.5K-800 K.