This position is designed to fill demands for staffing needs to cover Dental Assistant staff absences and fluctuant increased needs in clinical areas for Chairside Dental Assistants throughout the entire dental center. Assist in all clinical areas as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Perform dental assisting duties as they relate to each specific clinical area. This includes setting up for procedures, assisting utilizing four-handed technique and cleaning up afterwards.
(2) Expose, process and mount digital x-rays.
(3) Perio charting and documenting as necessary using the electronic health record in preparation for patients’ treatment plan.
(4) Adherence to infection control guidelines and OSHA compliance.
(5) Scheduling patient appointments, utilizing the computer system; answering and directing patient calls.
(6) Perform dispensary and sterilization duties. Assist in stocking, distributing and collecting instruments and materials.
(7) Assist in any capacity in other patient care areas including screening, radiology, reception, appointment center, and financial services.
(8) Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
A high school diploma or GED.
Associates Degree or some college course work preferred.
Three years chairside dental assisting experience in a multi provider general dental office.
Competent chairside assisting in complex dental procedures including periodontal surgery and implant placement surgery utilizing four-handed technique.
Experience with digital x-rays and an electronic health record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(1) Current knowledge of dental terminology, dental instruments and materials.
(2) Must have the ability to expose, process, and mount quality digital radiographs.
(3) Qualified individual will have excellent customer service skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
(3) Must be dependable and have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to manage responsibilities in a busy multi-provider environment.
(4) Must be flexible and adaptable as this position requires the ability to work in a variety of different areas perhaps within the same day.
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Must be able to sit, bend, and reach for extended perods of time.
Must have manual dexterity for proper four handed dental techniques.
Must be able to move freely thoughhout the clinic.
Busy educational dental clinic setting with multiple providers.
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal dental office.
Licenses/Certifications: Current Radiology certification and current certification in CPR/BLS.
Open Date: 01/21/2019
Salary/Pay Information: Dental Modified earn 89.23% of full time rate of $13.88
Monday-Friday 40 hours between 8:00 am – 5:30 pm.
This is a Dental Modified position – when the students are on break (from 1 day to 2 weeks at a time, this position does not work)
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: SD9991-TD005-0618-1076
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.