The Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care at the University of California, San Francisco, seeks an outstanding candidate for a position of Director of Research Development and Training.
The Director will provide scientific and administrative perspective to leadership for the conceptualization, planning, and development of research development and training operations in order to advance the department’s research enterprise. Will serve as the primary scientific advisor to Vice Chair for Research and liaison between the Research Operations Committee, the Ronald D Miller Professor, and the department’s Biostats and Clinical Research Design Committee. Responsibilities will include:
• Develop, implement, and evaluate broad initiatives to address faculty research needs, including initiatives to expand the department’s capacity to conduct clinically-oriented research.
• Identify funding opportunities for faculty and trainees. Conduct scientific review of faculty and trainee grant proposals.
• Assist with the management of individual faculty research funding portfolios, Departmental Research Award Program, faculty multi-year agreements and various other ad hoc support mechanisms; strategize the mitigation of anticipated funding lapses.
• Collaborate with faculty leadership to provide vision and high-level oversight of research trainee programs of the Pathway to Scientific Independence (PSI).
• Take a leading role in the planning, writing, and submission of the department T32 training grant. Complete renewal applications and annual progress reports.
• Develop, implement and assess initiatives to promote diversity within the department’s research pipeline and community.
Successful candidates must possess:
• Master’s in a health-science or related field required; PhD preferred
• At least 5 years of relevant post-degree work experience in medical research program management or related administrative area, such as pre-award grant administration, preferably in a clinical setting.
• Proficiency with scientific writing, specifically biomedical research papers and grant proposals.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills.
• A high degree of independence, initiative, and flexibility.
The Department of Anesthesia’s philosophy is aligned with UCSF campus leadership in the areas of recruiting and retaining individuals traditionally under-represented in the health sciences, LGBTQ, and individuals with disabilities, to better reflect the diversity of the population we serve in the San Francisco Bay Area. We further recognize that successfully recruiting people to join our enterprise is not the end of the story. It is also critical that we provide an environment in which all individuals in our workforce and trainee programs experience a professional, supportive, collaborative and open environment and have the opportunity to thrive. We are dedicated to the ongoing pursuit of these goals.
Appointees in the Academic Coordinator title are in administration and will be expected to administer academic programs that provide service related to the teaching or research mission of the University. The academic program overseen by an Academic Coordinator must be fundamentally academic in nature, involving University research activities or activities requiring judgments relating to University instruction. Appointees in the Academic Coordinator title must have a professional background of academic training and/or experience. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF02341