Overview This is a Development Assistant position within the development office on the Duluth campus and is an employee of the University of Minnesota Foundation. This position serves as a principal liaison to the general public and to staff and faculty for development events, stewardship and donor and other communications. Responsibilities include activities as they relate to electronic and print mediums, events, stewardship and recognition, in addition to providing administrative support within the development office.
Responsibilities Administrative –20% • Serve as initial contact person in handling requests for information, answering questions, and solving problems. • Provide administrative support to the director of development. • Handle routine paperwork. Establish and maintain computerized records, reports and correspondence in DMS • Schedule and make arrangements for director appointments and meetings. • Develop business correspondence and other documents. • Oversee distribution of mailings; work with mailing services as needed. • Draft and design quarterly newsletters sent electronically to donors, alumni and friends. Spearhead query requests and work with Foundation communication team to facilitate. • Events – 30% • Independently engage in planning and execution of donor events/gatherings – including contracts for catering, room arrangements, entertainment, program development, and facilitating all other aspects of event planning to ensure success. • Identify invitees and prepare invitation lists, plan mailing strategy, develop and maintain records of events. • Plan development events, including prospecting, stewardship, and campaign events. Set goals and establish metrics based upon type of event to evaluate and validate events in terms of budget and staff time and to inform effectiveness of events as they relate to the goals of the development office.
Stewardship and Recognition – 25% • Assist with planning, administrative support and necessary stewardship for scholarship awarding process. This includes correspondence with donors, students and leadership. • Design and facilitate scholarship recipient profiles for donors. • Research, draft, and edit customized acknowledgment letters and special correspondence on behalf of the Medical School – Duluth. • Serve as first point of contact for all donor funds, including resolutions of problems and questions, donor and departmental requests for information, new fund requests and coordination.
Communications – 25% • Assist communication specialist with campus communication and marketing needs including electronic media (including video monitors), email outreach and print-related projects. • Assist communication specialist with external messaging including dissemination of news releases, story placement and general campus messaging to external stakeholders. • Assist communication specialist with graphic design work as needed.
• High School Diploma/GED and four years of related office experience. Training/education may be substituted for some of the years of experience.
• Experience in general office setting and/or post high school training with experience and skill at expert level.
• Advanced verbal, written and communications skills for public contact by telephone, by mail and in person.
• Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Word and intermediate skills in MS Excel Spreadsheet and MS Powerpoint.
• Experience and skill at the expert level with composing and editing correspondence, - spelling, grammar, clarity, punctuation for correspondence and records.
• Ability to perform with competence in high-pressure situations and a rapidly changing environment, to multitask and work independently, meet deadlines and prioritize office work and coordinate with others.
• Prioritize and make decisions on a daily basis regarding calendars.
• Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
• Filing, mail handling (incoming/outgoing)
• Skill and experience in organizing, managing and maintaining office records and procedures.
• Solid experience and background in time and project management.
• Database experience such as Raiser Edge, DMS, Access or Excel
• Professional presence
Internal Number: 328199
About University of Minnesota, Duluth
The University of Minnesota Duluth integrates liberal education, research, creative activity, and public engagement and prepares students to thrive as lifelong learners and globally engaged citizens.