JOB SUMMARY: Develops, analyzes, and conducts financial and billing analyses to assess the viability of financial plans and programs, under occasional guidance. Reviews medical documentation and coding, conducts audits, and analyzes clinical billing trends. Develops financial statements, compensation analyses, financial packages and expense accounting statements.
Develops projections to model the financial impact of clinical billing and revenue.
Understands and audits medical documentation for billing and coding.
Tracks and reconciles clinical billing and coding with productivity and revenue metrics or other data.
Tracks and balances expenses, encumbrances, and other account activity
Analyzes, accumulates, and reviews data for financial reports. Conducts technical research and prepares synopses on relevant topics.
Assembles data and compiles drafts, outlines and graphic materials for financial presentations. Coordinates efforts of work group.
Analyzes the effects of proposed federal and state statutes and regulatory actions which may impact long range financial planning.
Analyzes future trends and indicators in related areas of interest. Reviews data to analyze trends affecting budget needs.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
FINANCIAL ANALYSIS (INTERMEDIATE):- The process of evaluating businesses, projects, budgets, etc. to determine their performance, stability and profitability.
COMMUNICATION OF RESULTS (INTERMEDIATE):- Communicates results and recommendations to customers in a concise and non-technical format. Clearly states implications and potential next steps. Presents analysis, ideas, and findings using the appropriate data visualization and presentation tools [such as Word, Excel, Tableau, and PowerPoint].
PROBLEM SOLVING (INTERMEDIATE):- Uses critical thinking and process improvement i.e. coaches and mentors development of problem statement, describes current state, identifies root causes, creates future state, coaches and mentors development of solutions and action plans with a sustainability plan. Applies appropriate tools to address issues.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT (INTERMEDIATE):- Planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives.
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates the ability to write clear, detailed, and comprehensive status reports, memos and documentation. Demonstrates an understanding of effective composition, such as having first line in a paragraph state the subject.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity â of culture, thinking, learning and leading â is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbiltâs mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology (Bill Wilkerson Center), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South. Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of our leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.The mission of Vanderbilt University Medical Center is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.