Assistant or Associate Professor - Heavy Civil Construction
Department: CENG-Civil & Environmental Eng (110200)
College/Division: CENG-College of Engineering
Salary Range: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Full-time Tenure-Track Position in Heavy Civil Construction: The Departments of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CE/ENVE) and Construction Management (CM) at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo invite applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level in Heavy Civil Construction with a start date of September 1, 2019. We seek applicants who emphasize teaching first, who are grounded in field experience, and have an emphasis in heavy civil project planning, preconstruction, estimating, construction methods, temporary structures, and heavy equipment operations and management. The ideal candidate is expected to contribute expertise in the workflow of heavy civil construction, constructability, safety, equipment fleet configuration, productivity optimization, and will have experiences that significantly contribute to a joint interdisciplinary heavy civil minor between the departments of CE/ENVE and CM. This new endowed position benefits from the committed support of the heavy civil industry.
Candidates should have a strong interest in and are expected to:
- Teach undergraduate classes and labs in heavy civil engineering and management as well as develop and teach new undergraduate courses in this area of specialization;
- Advise students as appropriate on department, college, and university policy and career opportunities;
- Work with and mentor student organizations, clubs, and competition teams;
- Collaborate with related disciplines, industry partners, and the local community;
- Collaborate with faculty in Civil Engineering and Construction Management on developing new courses and professional interests
- Pursue scholarship and outreach based on the university's teacher-scholar model.
Application instructions and additional information available at http://www.calpolyjobs.org. To apply, complete the online faculty application and apply to Requisition #105138. REVIEW BEGIN DATE: January 18, 2019. Applications received after that date may be considered. For additional information, contact the Construction Management Department at 805-756-5603 or refer to www.construction.calpoly.edu.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Qualifications (Staff Only):
- Candidates must possess a doctorate in construction management, civil engineering, construction engineering, or other designated terminal degree listed below; OR must possess a master's degree in a closely related field and demonstrate the ability and commitment to earn a doctorate in construction management, construction engineering, civil engineering or other designated terminal degree prior to being considered for tenure. Designated terminal degrees include PhD, JD, EdD and DBA. All degrees must be from an accredited institution. - Candidates must have a minimum of 3 years relevant professional experience in the United States construction industry or comparable international experience. - Candidates must have a commitment to furthering inclusion and diversity, and the ability to communicate effectively, work cooperatively with students, faculty, staff, and administrators from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, conduct themselves professionally, and perform appropriate service functions at the department, college, and university level.
- Professional certifications or licensures related to the construction/civil engineering industry. - Two or more years of professional experience in a project management or supervisory capacity. - Relevant teaching experience in higher education. - A record of independent research, publications, or external funding of work related to construction management/civil engineering. - Prior experience advising/mentoring/coaching undergraduate construction management students, developing undergraduate curricula, and participating in regional/national seminars, student competitions, workshops, and committees. - Competency in construction management software applications. - Prior experience furthering inclusion and diversity in higher education or industry settings.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
May be required to complete a Supplemental Employment Application Questionnaire, which contains questions pertaining to conviction history, and submit it when requested by Cal Poly. This disclosure is confidential and will not necessarily preclude applicants from employment.
Faculty employees who wish to apply for permanent residency will be responsible for retaining an immigration attorney. All filing and attorney's fees will be incurred by the faculty member.
About Us Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, along California's scenic central coast and midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With a budget of $168.5 million, the university has a student enrollment exceeding 17,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university, with approximately 17,500 undergraduate, 120 post-baccalaureate, and 900 graduate students. The Cal Poly community fosters teaching, scholarship, and service in a learn-by-doing environment where students, staff, and faculty are partners in discovery. Cal Poly has built an exemplary reputation on its learn-by-doing approach to the preparation of undergraduate and graduate students. It is a distinctive learning community offering academically focused students a hands-on educational experience that prepares them for today's scientific and technical world. Cal Poly provides a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and technology, while encouraging cross-disciplinary and co-curricular experiences. U.S. News and World Report has ranked Cal Poly #1 among public master's universities in the western United States for 24 consecutive years. The University values free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. As a campus, we welcome and nurture a rich array of different perspectives, ideas and cultures. We encourage international an...d multi-cultural education in order to prepare students for successful participation and competition in a diverse world and a global workforce. We believe that diversity of our students, faculty, and staff enlivens and enriches Cal Poly’s educational environment.