1. Partners with AA&D Technology and Support Services Managers and other external business partners to manage the development of business process, enhancements, stabilization of business systems and implementation of technology related to data acquisition. Understands project status in the AA&D Technology Queue and guides requirements gathering to recommend project prioritization for Business Intelligence, Engagement Applications and Advancement System staff to implement AA&D's most pressing data acquisition needs.
2. Oversees the strategic development and management of the AA&D Intranet site, the Source, to ensure that policies, procedures and processes are accessible to Alumni Affairs and Development staff University-wide.
3. Delivers a high quality, responsive and efficient data acquisition service supporting fundraising and alumni engagement objectives through the delivery of data.
4. Establishes relationships within the University and with vendors to assist in acquiring new data and routine hygiene of existing data within AA&D and University policy.
5. Leads a University-wide Data Acquisition Working Group to recommend project prioritization and recommend new or revise existing AA&D data policies and procedures.
6. Establishes processes for managing the import and extract of large volumes of data.
7. Analyzes and interprets data to identify issues, evaluate scope and impact to recommend appropriate methods to resolve.
8. Understands complex and varied ways data will be leveraged by Alumni Affairs and Development. Ensures practices for storing and maintaining data will optimally facilitate retrieval and use of information. Responsible for recommending changes in data collection and management practices to address business impacting gaps of information.
9. Applies technical and subject-matter expertise and business analysis concepts to identify, evaluate, define, develop, and enhance complex systems and procedures through research and an understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements.
10. Gathers, analyzes, and documents business and user needs. Develops functional and technical specifications to meet those needs.
11. Oversees the design and development of ad hoc queries and reports to support data acquisition and data cleansing processes and projects.
12. Plans and executes all levels of testing (unit, system, user acceptance, volume).
13. Leads cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
14. Supervises assigned staff to include recruitment, selection, supervision, work assignment, learning and development, and performance evaluation.
15. Collaborates with departmental leadership to develop project plans and manage communication to project teams, vendors, and key stakeholders.
16. The above covers the most significant responsibilities of the position. It does not, however, exclude other duties, the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the level of the position.
SUMMARY: Overseeing a staff of approximately two employees, this full-time confidential exempt position is responsible for managing protocols and best practices for acquiring new data, managing data integrity, and ensuring the availability of high quality biographical data for fundraising and engagement activities, reporting and analytics. Using multiple data sources and software tools, this manager will explore, recommend and carry out cleansing and acquisition projects that will underpin alumni outreach efforts, donor solicitation plans and analysis of outcomes to support greater fundraising efforts at Harvard.
This Data Acquisition Manager will collaborate with managers in Alumni Affairs and Development on the evaluation and improvement of business practices to optimize data accuracy and collection. This person will also collaborate with managers in Alumni & Development Services to define and implement processes and procedures for biographical records management.
The position requires a good command of leadership and team building skills, project management and operational expertise, and a good level of organization, professionalism and familiarity with the people and the objectives of Harvard Alumni Affairs and Development organization.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Skills testing may be a component of the interview process for this position.
The department of Alumni Affairs and Development at Harvard University is committed to diversity. We welcome applicants who bring varied experience, thought, and practice to the department's mission to maintain and enhance an engaged community of alumni and friends worldwide and to lead the University's fundraising efforts.
Harvard University Benefits Package Vacation/Sick/Personal/Holidays: Harvard offers 3 (union roles) - 4 (exempt) weeks paid vacation, a paid holiday break between Christmas and New Year's Day, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days each year. Medical/Dental/Vision Benefit: Harvard offers a variety of excellent medical, dental, and vision plans which all begin on the first day of employment. Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service. Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted study options through participating Harvard Graduate Schools. Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as parking options to assist employees in their daily commute to campus. Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complimentary health services. There are also fee-based athletic facility memberships available at various locations around the university for employees.
Salary Grade: 058
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Graduate from an accredited college with a minimum five (5) years' experience.
Ability to translate business issues into technical solutions.
Proficiency with standard Microsoft Office desktop tools such as Word and Excel, FileMaker, SharePoint, Adobe.
1. Experience as an operational administrator with a successful track record as a leader, manager, and strategist in a complex organizational environment, university fundraising and administration or related transferable experience preferred. 2. Excellent customer service skills. 3. The ability to become proficient with the technology in use in AA&D. Familiarity with SQL and Qlik. 4. Ability to work in a fast paced, high volume environment. Experience working in an academic environment. 5. Communicates effectively with technical staff and non-technical staff. 6. Superb organizational skills. Must be motivated to learn and flexible to change. Ability to manage multiple tasks under competing deadlines and shifting priorities. 7. Must have strong written and verbal communication skills with experience writing functional requirements and an appreciation for structured development techniques in conjunction with software release management processes. Public speaking and presentation skills required. 8. Must be conscious of data security and risk management. 9. Able to work independently and as part of a team. Able to work effectively with internal and external constituencies in a University environment. Adept at evaluating problems accurately and displaying sound and confidential judgment. Must have an even disposition and be able to work effectively and politely with all people from all types of backgrounds and experience and in all types of situations.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Internal Number: 47868BR
About Harvard University Alumni Affairs and Development
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.