This position develops specialized and seasonal content features targeted to multi-media channels, visitor collateral and promotional materials. Responsible for writing, editing, incorporating graphic and other media into written publications for print and electronic media, develops and/or edits specialized content such as promotional/PR summaries and descriptions related to individual seasons, exhibits, events or projects, communication plans, media advisories, seasonal backgrounders, Assists in events and programs collateral, attending and staffing events occasionally on evenings and weekends.
Areas of Responsibilities:
• 50% -writing for Arboretum publications and brochures in print and electronic mediums; editing and proofreading collateral for accuracy and grammar, project management as assigned by internal team with outside suppliers
• 20% -develops publicity and specialized content to publicize the seasons, edit signature events and seasonal exhibits descriptions for consistency in key messaging in Arboretum owned media, write and edit media backgrounders, assist in compiling events calendars for external media and blogger requests, develop and edit communications style guide and public relations plans
• 15% - write and edit print and digital channel advertising and advertorials, select key images and footage as needed, develop content for prospective sponsorship and promotional partners and/or collaborations with tourism and cultural attractions
• 10%-Staffing and assisting at Arboretum events, exhibit openings, community events and outreach programs. Some occasional weekend or evening hours.
• 5% - Attend staff meetings, training sessions, event and exhibit project meetings as required. Keep up on email and internal communications.
Required Qualifications: • Requires bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or related field and a minimum of 2 years professional experience, or 6 years combined related equivalent education and experience. • Proven track record of excellent written and oral communications across various communications platforms. • Experience in working with social media and digital communications. • Demonstrated ability to promote and successfully leverage media and public relations skills in building brand of an organization.
Preferred Qualifications: • Experience in working with cultural attractions, museums or non-profit organizations. • Experience in delivery of executive presentations, as media spokesperson, coaching designated staff in media interviews and presentations.
Internal Number: 327822
About University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.