Advertised Summary Job Description: The Department of Pathology and Cell Biology at Columbia University Medical Center is searching for a highly motivated Digital Platforms & Analytic Specialist to serve as database manager and analytics specialist in the newly created Clinical Laboratory Analytics Team (CLAT). The mission of the CLAT is to develop and apply quantitative methods for the analysis and visualization of clinical laboratory data and relate the resulting statistical descriptors to improve laboratory utilization and increase the accuracy and efficiency of disease diagnosis, treatment, and prevention through laboratory testing. In addition, the CLAT will support a variety of functionalities related to the practice of Pathology that require the use of web-based interaction with databases, including accessing and visualizing laboratory analytics dashboards, microscopic slide images, and tracking of trainee educational achievements.
Examples of laboratory analytics applications include:
1) A web-based application to determine the significance of changes in laboratory test results (based on the reference change value concept). 2) An application interfaced to clinical laboratory data to determine the number of "duplicated" tests (i.e. when interval between orders exceed a user-defined limit), use of obsolete tests or test combinations, and other examples of inappropriate laboratory test utilization. 3) A web-accessible laboratory formulary database, that allows management of approval of non-formulary tests with references to laboratory utilization literature that can be expanded by approved users and serve as a guide for optimizing test utilization. 4) A web-based database for management of Pathology Resident calls and other actions, such as review of requests for off-formulary laboratory tests. This database will be integrated in an Informatics teaching program to track the residents learning progress. 5) Machine learning approaches to automated interpretation of complex laboratory medicine profiles, such as protein electrophoresis and biochemical genetics.
The incumbent will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Assist in the design, validation, and maintenance of analytical tools, databases, and visualization applications for quantitative analysis of clinical laboratory data.
- Assist in the design, validation, and maintenance of the image databases of the Digital and Computational Pathology Laboratory (DCPL).
- Assist in the design, validation, and maintenance of the Pathology Residents Educational Tracking Database.
- Provide programming expertise to support the needs of the CLAT and the newly established Digital and Computational Pathology Laboratory (DCPL).
- Interact with the team members of the CLAT and DCPL to promote the goals of these laboratory analytics and digital imaging initiatives.
- Support and manage intradepartmental, interdepartmental, and inter-institutional collaborations including development, evaluation, and maintenance of new analytical and visualization tools to enhance the practice of Pathology.
General Minimum Qualifications: Requires a bachelor's of science degree in computer science or equivalent in education and experience, plus three years of related experience.
- Experience in data analysis, with programing abilities in R statistical language.
- Experience in bioinformatics and next generation sequencing tools.
- Demonstrated ability to work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to plan, organize, troubleshoot, and present work independently and work in a collaborative environment that emphasizes team approaches.
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills.
- Appropriate level of understanding and ability to interpret applicable regulations and standard of quality assurance.
Preferred Qualifications: - MS in computer science or related fields.
- Machine learning and modelling experience is a plus.
- Experience in Linux operation system is a plus.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Internal Number: 126_169150
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.