Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Exempt
Pay Range: $51,496 annually or higher depending on experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Position Summary: The Extension Publications Editor is responsible for managing Extension manuscripts as they go through the Extension publishing process, from post-peer-review through editing, design, and publishing. The editor will copyedit peer-reviewed manuscripts, working directly with authors, then shepherd the manuscript through design, reviewing design proofs and working as a liaison between the authors and graphic designer. The editor will work with the publications team to create the catalog listing and arrange for printing or online only publishing of the final product. The editor will copyedit other Extension materials as requested.
- Bachelors degree
- Excellent written English skills including spelling and grammar.
- One year of professional copyediting and proofreading experience, or 3 to 5 years of relevant experience.
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel, and in Adobe Acrobat.
- Working knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style and Associated Press Style.
- Demonstrated ability to edit accurately, quickly, and under deadline.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills.
- General knowledge of standard publishing processes.
- Exceptionally strong, meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Technical writing or editing experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of intricacy and legal ramifications of intellectual property and publishing, including libel and plagiarism.
- General knowledge of basic scientific principles and Extension publications.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer workstation and to key data, sort documents, and file paperwork. The employee must occasionally lift. carry, or otherwise move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision requirements for this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Posting Number: SP001988P
Posting Date: 11/02/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions: First consideration will be given to those who apply by December 2, 2018. The position will remain open until suitable applicant is identified.In addition to the online application, please submit a resume, a letter of qualification addressing how you meet EACH minimum and any applicable preferred qualifications of this position, and a portfolio item, i.e., an example of something you have edited.The portfolio item should be uploaded with the application as Other Document 1.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. One of the nation’s land-grant research universities, U of I is a noted national leader in student-centered learning and interdisciplinary research that promotes public service. Our work serves businesses and communities, advancing the pursuit of diversity, citizenship and global outreach.