Advertised Summary Job Description: We are looking for a Technician B to join a multi-disciplinary breast cancer research team in the Dept. of Pathology and Cell Biology at CUMC . The ideal candidate would be an early career researcher interested in learning and applying new technologies across multiple disciplines from computational image analysis to molecular biology in investigative pathology. The incumbent will work closely with the principal investigator, post docs, and students in the laboratory.
Current projects in the Gardner lab are focused on the molecular and cellular biology of chromatin-based mechanisms of gene regulation in cancer in breast cancer. Major projects include defining basic mechanisms through with metabolic imbalance influences epigenetic regulation linked to tumor initiation, growth, invasion, and metastasis in breast cancer. An important effort in the lab is the translational correlation of experimental findings to understanding human breast cancer through correlative biomarker profiling and genomic analysis.
The Technician B will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Western blots, immunofluorescence, immuno-histochemistry - Scan and quantify immunoblots - Keep detailed lab notes and enter data into computer worksheets - Monitor and maintain stocks of supplies and chemicals for the entire laboratory - Ordering materials as requested by other lab members - Keep track of orders and confirming billing - Maintain the tissue culture facility - Help train students and fellows in laboratory procedures - Present data to the Principle Investigator - Carry out "blinded" evaluations of immune-stained material
General Minimum Qualifications: Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications: - Experience with cell culture. Nucleic acid isolation, from cell lines quantitation and paraffin samples of human tissue.
- Experience in immuno-histochemistry and analysis of tissue micro-arrays.
- Experience with digital pathology and quantitative image analysis using the Aperio-base Leica Microsystems eSlideManager imaging software.
- Skilled with computer based operations including database maintenance and graphic data output, basic statistics and basic bioinformatics and use annotation software.
- Experience and use of SPSS statistical predictive analysis software packages.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with PI on equipment procurement and maintenance, ordering of supplies and maintaining records on lab safety and compliance.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Internal Number: 126_172851
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.